These trip reports are all in Banff National Park. These trips are organized by activity – hiking, backpacking, scrambling or summits, skiing and bicycling. For a list of all trip reports by activity, click here. For an alphabetical listing, click here.
Please read this article BEFORE you start winter hiking, snowshoeing or skiing in the National Parks.
- Safe(r) Winter Routes for Snowshoe/Hikers – National Parks
- How to Keep your Phone Battery Alive in Cold Weather – tips to keep your phone alive.
- AST 2 Course with ACMG Paddy Jerome / Canadian Rockies Mountain Guides
Read these articles to help get you physically and mentally prepared for the mountains:
- How to Suck Less in the Mountains, Part I – Strong Legs and Lungs
- How to Suck Less in the Mountains, Part II – Strong Mind
- Backcountry Eats – Dehydrating Dinners for beginners
- Shoulder Season Shuffle – how to not destroy trails and severely piss of bears
- 52 Hike Challenge – Completed!
Hiking / Backpacking
- Lake Agnes – a classic Lake Louise hike
- Arnica Lake – a classic Banff backpack, via Shadow Lake or Vista Lake
- Aylmer Lookout – a long hike above Lake Minnewanka with a stunning view
- Big Beehive – a classic Lake Louise hike above Lake Agnes
- Little Beehive – a classic Lake Louse hike above Lake Agnes
- C Level Cirque – Three kinds of fun in Banff, plus some history to boot!
- Cory Pass to Gargoyle Valley – a ‘there and back’ or more challenging loop
- Egypt Lake – a classic Banff backpack via Healy Pass
- Healy Pass – A classic Banff hike
- Johnson’s Canyon & Ink Pots – A Winter Wonderland
- Larch Valley – hiking above Moraine Lake
- Sentinel Pass – Via Larch Valley above Moraine Lake
- Shadow Lake – a classic Banff backpack via Egypt Lake
- Sulphur Mountain / Sanson Peak – Banff’s most accessible peak with amazing views
- Tunnel Mountain – Fantastic Views for Very Little Effort
- Twin Lakes – a classic Banff backpack, via Shadow Lake or Vista Lake
- Vista Lake – a classic hike or backpack, via Shadow Lake
- Backpack – Sunshine to Healy Pass, Egypt Lake, Shadow Lake, Twin Lakes, Arnica Lake & Vista Lake
Summer Scrambles / Summits
- Devil’s Thumb – The ultimate Lake Louise summit view
- Mt. Edith – via Cory Pass
- Eiffel Peak – A summit scramble with intense views
- Fairview Mountain – outstanding views from this accessible summit
- Pharaoh Peak – via Healy Pass and Egypt Lake
Skiing – Backcountry and Light Touring
- Lake Annette – light ski touring with some avalanche exposure
- Bow Hut – Backcountry skiing. The jumping off point of many adventures
- Bow Summit – Backcountry skiing. Ideal beginner terrain
- Cascade Fire Road to Warden’s Cabin, and beyond – Cross-country skiing
- Crowfoot Mountain – Backcountry skiing summit
- Paradise Valley – Light ski touring with some avalanche exposure
- Mount Temple – 11,000′ of gorgeous mountain
- Tower of Babel – A bike and hike adventure
Bicycling – cycling is seasonal, and depends on road closures
- Bow Valley Parkway – Cycle from Banff to Castle Junction
- Lake Minnewanka Cycle – Canmore to Minnewanka to Tunnel Mountain
- Moraine Lake Road – A Bike & Hike Adventure
- 52 Hiking Challenge – Completed!
- Drumlins Among Us – They are hiding in plain sight 🙂
- My 200th Strava Activity – The power of doing something small
- Cov-Idiots. Adventuring during a Pandemic
- How Adventuring Helps me Survive Self-Isolation – a humorous look at what we consider ‘hard’.
- The Ghost of Abbot Pass – a spooky post to celebrate Halloween
- Cultivating a Pack Valet Relationship – The care and feeding of your pack b!tch 🙂
- World Cup Newbie:
- Newly Minted Ski Instructor